Why Lora and LoraWAN ?
What is Lora ?
Means long range.
It refers to the spread spectrum modulation technique derived from
chirp spread spectrum (CSS) technology.
Semtech’s LoRa devices and wireless radio frequency technology (LoRa Technology) is a long range, low power wireless platform that has become the de facto technology for Internet of Things (IoT) networks worldwide.
What is LoraWan ?
LoRaWAN is a media access control (MAC) protocol for wide area networks.
It can be mapped to the second and third layer of the OSI model. LoraWAN is implemented on top of LoRa or FSK modulation in industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) radio bands.
Difference between Lora and LoraWAN ?
LoRa, is the physical layer or the (wireless) modulization which creates the long range communication link.
LoRaWAN is about the communication protocol and system architecture for the network as the LoRaAlliance puts it.
LoRaWAN is the network and also responsible for managing the communication frequencies, data rate, and power for all kinds of IOT devices.
(WAN = Wide Area Network)
What is Lora Mesh ?
LoRa MESH Radio Module is a high performance, low power, long-range micro-power RF module, using a distributed ad-hoc network communication mode, embedded wireless Mesh Manet protocols, users do not need to do anything modified to present devices, protocols, nor need for secondary development to module, but can easily programmable.
What are some use cases and reasons to use LORa and LoraWAN ?
- The LoRaWAN standard is one of the leading open standards for low power wide area network technology
- Cost effective for pilots, POCs and productionized systems
- LoRa Technology’s inherent qualities enable resilient and reliable radio capabilities in urban and rural environments
- It’s Battery or solar operated sensors remove the requirement for fixed power and enable multiple years of battery life depending on the use case
- Longer shelf life is quite useful to many of use cases such as tracking hospitals equipment, disaster recovery and emergency management systems, smart agriculture and farming , smart cities, smart manufacturing plants, etc.
- LoRa-based sensors and networks can fit easily into many software ecosystems
- The LoRaWAN standard has security fundamentally built into the specification
- Design and build a long-range, low powered digital wireless communications IOT network where sensors can be used to categorize certain Audio frequencies and noises like gun shots, trains, construction and road noises to help with traffic and noise ordinances
Read More Articles
What is AR (augmented reality) Cloud ?
The AR Cloud is a live real-time 4D guide of the world, overlayed onto this present geolocated reality.
It empowers data, ideas and encounters to be expanded, common, and attached to explicit physical areas to happen and endure across applications and gadgets.
Think about always on and telecommunications companies, cable companies, retail and e-commerce and more offering this Augmented reality service bundled in with a wireless plan package (or offering it as a separate, standalone subscription), to WiFi on the fly services to in-app Easy clickable Button purchases, and more. This is a substantial new stream of revenue.
Retail and e-commerce businesses will spring up alongside it: or inside of it. The overlay of a man easy ‘Buy This Item Now’ button on top of your physical store would open up many avenues.
Reddit Launches some loot tokens for reputation and rewards on ethereum.
2 new types of loot tokens have been created. It’s a token on the Ethereum blockchain that is earnable within a community rather than purchased. They signaled that their plan to pivot the company’s monetization strategy more towards crypto. Interesting tidbit. And This overall initiative is referred to as “Community Points” and builds on the early experiments from /r/Ethtrader donuts.
What are the two loot tokens called?
Reddit launched “Moons” ($MOONS)
for /r/Cryptocurrency and
“Bricks” ($BRICKS) for /r/ForniteBR
I wonder how they plan on getting away with “bricks” considering LEGO uses bricks and such and doesn’t really like when people use their lingo for business revenue.
The tokens are available on specific subreddits on the new Reddit theme and in the app.
Users will be able to access the tokens in their Reddit “vault” an in-app ERC20 wallet available on both iOS and Android.
Basically a crypto wallet in a sense.
Reddit will distribute these tokens initially based on Reddit Karma to represent compensation for the value that users have contributed to the community overtime.
Reddit itself will keep a portion of the tokens in each subreddit, and award a small portion to the community moderators for managing the subreddit.
On the launch day there will be an initial distribution of 50M tokens covering previous activity in the subreddit, and then the remaining tokens will be distributed month over month diminishing with each monthly distribution until it hits its cap of 250M tokens for each individual subreddit.
Reddit has indicated that the community will also have some ability to govern the model of distribution with in each independent subreddit.
What can you do with Reddit Loot ?
The Community Points Program issues a type of loot token on the Ethereum blockchain. So you can earn loot in the community as well as redeem it within the same community.
One major usage is using these tokens to tip other users. You can also buy badges and awards, take part in weighted polls, or buy a special membership to each particular subreddit (that gives you a colored user name, specialty loyalty badges, and the ability to embed gif replies in your comments.)
Economics of the loot tokens
The economic model has three key points:
1) Number of tokens issued diminishes over time, and can only be earned from human effort.
2) All future human effort earns less tokens than all prior human effort. There is a hard cap of 250M tokens in a subreddit. There will never be more than 250M $MOON tokens.
3) Every time $MOON tokens are used to buy badges, memberships or for any other action on Reddit, they are burned. (destroyed !).
The price of an asset increases as supply lowers and demand increases
So the more active a community is and the more value it creates for its users, the less tokens will exist over time.
Tokens will have a lower supply, but, a greater demand.
Any other usages ?
Moons and Bricks are both ERC20 tokens on the Ethereum blockchain, you can do whatever you want with them.
In the Reddit app your wallet is a full Ethereum wallet that has a private key and recovery phrase. You are able to use that wallet anywhere you would normally use an Ethereum wallet by exporting it.
This means that once you claim your tokens you own them and no one else has access to them. Not even Reddit.
While these tokens started their journey with Reddit, they ultimately represent value created within a specific interest group, and could start to proliferate across other mediums.
If you want to list your tokens on exchanges to sell, you can do that too.
While Reddit is very likely to continue exploring new features to redeem these tokens for, the tokens are fully decentralized and can be used by anyone in anyway.
Interesting stuff and use case.
- Zcash Foundation plans to bring its privacy features to the Cosmos ecosystem.
- The project will utilize “pegzones” to add an anonymity layer to cross-chain transactions.
- This will allow shielding assets, transfers and staking across blockchains.
- It will be possible to move Zcash from one blockchain to the other.