Why Lora and LoraWAN ?
What is Lora ?
Means long range.
It refers to the spread spectrum modulation technique derived from
chirp spread spectrum (CSS) technology.
Semtech’s LoRa devices and wireless radio frequency technology (LoRa Technology) is a long range, low power wireless platform that has become the de facto technology for Internet of Things (IoT) networks worldwide.
What is LoraWan ?
LoRaWAN is a media access control (MAC) protocol for wide area networks.
It can be mapped to the second and third layer of the OSI model. LoraWAN is implemented on top of LoRa or FSK modulation in industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) radio bands.
Difference between Lora and LoraWAN ?
LoRa, is the physical layer or the (wireless) modulization which creates the long range communication link.
LoRaWAN is about the communication protocol and system architecture for the network as the LoRaAlliance puts it.
LoRaWAN is the network and also responsible for managing the communication frequencies, data rate, and power for all kinds of IOT devices.
(WAN = Wide Area Network)
What is Lora Mesh ?
LoRa MESH Radio Module is a high performance, low power, long-range micro-power RF module, using a distributed ad-hoc network communication mode, embedded wireless Mesh Manet protocols, users do not need to do anything modified to present devices, protocols, nor need for secondary development to module, but can easily programmable.
What are some use cases and reasons to use LORa and LoraWAN ?
- The LoRaWAN standard is one of the leading open standards for low power wide area network technology
- Cost effective for pilots, POCs and productionized systems
- LoRa Technology’s inherent qualities enable resilient and reliable radio capabilities in urban and rural environments
- It’s Battery or solar operated sensors remove the requirement for fixed power and enable multiple years of battery life depending on the use case
- Longer shelf life is quite useful to many of use cases such as tracking hospitals equipment, disaster recovery and emergency management systems, smart agriculture and farming , smart cities, smart manufacturing plants, etc.
- LoRa-based sensors and networks can fit easily into many software ecosystems
- The LoRaWAN standard has security fundamentally built into the specification
- Design and build a long-range, low powered digital wireless communications IOT network where sensors can be used to categorize certain Audio frequencies and noises like gun shots, trains, construction and road noises to help with traffic and noise ordinances
Read More Articles
Supply chain and logistics is a complex and complicated space. But supply chain mechanisms and supply chain automation and supply chain security isn’t a simple conversation or easy button solution. It’s a global supply chain society.
Can blockchain help ? Can IOT help ? Can Big data analytics help ? Can robotics and automation help ?
But of course blockchain can sort of help when you think about it. As Bruce Schneier said about the supply chain and public policy, “you have to trust everyone yet you can’t trust anyone.”
Cool use case for blockchain and agriculture and the supply chain.
Developers at Starbucks exposed an API key that might be used by an attacker to access internal IT systems and manipulate the list of authorized users.
The issue has been rated as ‘critical’ because it could allow attackers to execute commands on systems, add or remove users which have access to internal systems, and potentially AWS account takeover.
The key was found in a public GitHub repository.
Serious impacts ignored
Vulnerability hunter Vinoth Kumar found the key in a public GitHub repository and disclosed it responsibly through the HackerOne vulnerability coordination and bug bounty platform.